Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Job Market Season: Liberal Arts Colleges

One thing I've learned about the job market for PhD economists: There are many different types of really cool, satisfying different jobs out there! They are different, for sure, but each with their special advantages and disadvantages. I'd say that it's all about finding the perfect match, but actually, I can imagine I'd match well with many different types of jobs. Maybe you would, too. 

See this blog entry about doing development economics at a small liberal arts college. 

Main takeaways in my view: 
  1. There is a lot heterogeneity among liberal arts colleges---try to get to know the specifics about the different departments you're considering. 
  2. They care about teaching. Teaching loads may or may not differ from research universities, but quality teaching is emphasized. If you hate teaching, this probably isn't for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment