Friday, November 11, 2016

Chris Blattman's Job Market Advice

Click here.

There are a lot of helpful tips in there! If nothing else, read "the big stuff."  I also really like the part on the major differences between academic and policy jobs. Actually, I really like pretty much all of it.

But let me add my own addition: It is very easy to get overwhelmed by all of this job market advice. Let me remind you that the biggest determinants of your job market success are things that you have no control over by the time you're on the market: The quality of your research (you won't be able to make major changes by the time you're searching for a job), your field (in particular, the number of jobs in your field relative to the number of job market candidates), and your graduate school/advisor (that has already been chosen). Am I missing any others?

My point: Read the advice columns, but don't sweat the small stuff (too much). The important thing is to keep working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment