Sunday, September 25, 2016

To Be a Good Scientist vs. Good Academic

I just came across an article on "The Rise of the Trump Academic," and I'm really not sure what to make of it. Of course, academic authenticity and integrity are really important. I also think sharing your work is important. I think talking about your work with smart people will increase the likelihood of developing new, good ideas. I think it's important to think carefully about the relevance of your work before submitting it--that's part of your job as a researcher. All of that said, I think the chart below is pretty much on the money.

To my past, current, and future students: I want you all to have successful careers. But I will be especially proud of you if when given the choice between being a good scientist and a good academic, you choose science. I honestly (maybe naively) believe that in the long run, the most successful academics are also the best scientists.

Divergent interests (1 of 2)
Source: @SciPubLab/Twitter 

1 comment:

  1. See this: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2016/09/power-poses-dead.html
    Three cheers for science!

    ReplyDelete