Sunday, June 26, 2016

Read This Before (and After) Sitting Down To Write

Marc Bellemare has a nice style guide (see here).

Note that I don't follow all of his writing advice, at least not all of the time. However, it is definitely worth reading. Often. People will take your work more seriously if it looks professional. Also, when I read really sloppy papers, either as a professor/advisor or as a referee, I often feel a bit insulted, like you don't value my time at all. Typos happen. Everyone knows this. But spend time cleaning what you write.

At the very least, reread your papers before submitting them. I just reread this post. Twice.

Addendum: I just happened to re-read a letter I wrote to an editor about a referee report. Caught two typos. How embarrassing! Do as I try to do, not as I always do....?

No comments:

Post a Comment